Monday, November 5, 2012

Morality - True, Humane



My father taught me that if you see injustice done and don’t act against it, you are just as guilty as the perpetrator. He instilled in us a great sense of morality; True, humane morality, not the kind that leads to war and intolerance. 

My father taught us the kind of morality that defends the defenseless and protects the weak. I cannot stand by and watch a person being verbally abused, just as much as I cannot watch a dog being beaten. My parents instilled in us the strength and conviction to stand up for ourselves and others. 

I have heard the saying “no good deed goes unpunished”, that kind of sentiment is what destroys integrity. It gives excuse not to act, to be a part of the problem. Yes, there are consequences, but if it’s your child, brother, mother in trouble, what would you want others to do? 

Jesus said “Do unto others as you would have done unto you”. In other words treat people the way you want to be treated. How much strength we gather from another’s kindness! It is immeasurable. It can change a life, give hope, give someone the strenght they need to go on. 

Let people know that there is goodness in the world. Isn’t that the world you want your children to grow up in?

No comments:

Post a Comment